Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Anyone seen my comfort zone? (part one of two parts)



For those of you out there who fear getting lazy, settling into a rut, or becoming complacent about the little things that make life so rich, allow me to suggest Parkinson's. It'll force you right out of your comfort zone.

I hear you murmuring out there "But... am I QUALIFIED for PD? Am I good enough? Can I go mano-a-tremoring-mano with a disease that will require of me resourcefulness, patience, humor, humility, the help of those that love me, the patience of those that encounter me? And let's not forget the sheer dinero, the moolah, the swag to afford those pricey pills without which I look like a reject from an casting call at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum... can I do all that?"

Don't sweat it! Anyone can have Parkinson's, even teenagers. And don't worry, there is plenty of PD to go around, and more coming soon. And I'm talking to you, you temporarily able Boomers. The average age of onset is 60, so what does that tell you? Ready or not, here it comes.

If diseases had slogans, Parkinson's would be "Disease of the Future." Just check the age curve of the United States. Heck, I'll do it for you. Here we are..

According to the State of New York Long-Term Care report, the population of citizens in the U.S. 65 or older will grow from 11% to 20% between 2000 and 2030.

It'll be a PD population boom. Which at least means we'll be a potent political force. If someone will be good enough to take us to the polling place.

2 comments:

S.A.Stinnett said...

I stumbled upon your blog a couple of weeks ago, and have really enjoyed your observations and art.
I was first diagnosed with PD in 2001. I spend the year shopping for a better diagnosis, thinking in some strange fashion that a cure to my increasing tremor, slowness and stiffness would go away with a more benign diagnosis. Fortionately, I'm blessed with a patient loving wife who is used to navigating the inner maze of the medical community. As a result, I have had a series of great doctors specializing in movement disorders and have been going strong (though not as fast) with the help of meds.

Peter Dunlap-Shohl said...

Hi! Thanks for the kind words, and heck, just for putting the effort forth to respond. I figure one comment from a fellow pwp equals 5 from a person who has their full dopamine allotment.

Glad you're doing well, and bless your wife!

Pete